We wish to end the year by once again thanking all of the people who have helped raise $70,870.07 this year for the CROP Hunger Walk.
As the saying in the picture states, without you this could not have been accomplished.
A very Happy New Year to all and we are anxious to make a difference in 2016 with your help.
As we approach Christmas Eve and the end of the year; we wish all of the people who have helped on the CROP Hunger Walk; who have followed us on Facebook, Twitter and this Blog; who care about the issue of hunger: a most joyous holiday season.
Whether your are Christian, Jewish, Muslim or Secular, all of you who walk make a difference in the lives of our fellow citizens.
In 2016 we plan on more information about the walk and those whom we help.
The following photographs are some the presentation of the money you helped raise for some of our local agencies.
CWS is working with partners ACT Alliance and Lutheran World Federation in Nepal
Over 3,600 people are known to have died in a massive earthquake which hit Nepal on Saturday. More than 6,500 people have been injured. The 7.9 magnitude earthquake was the country’s worst natural disaster in more than 80 years.
Members of ACT Alliance which have been working in Nepal for several years are on the ground and already working to assist many who have survived the quake, by distributing immediate life-saving supplies such as water, food, shelter and medication.
“People are suffering and need urgent assistance,” said Reshma Adatia, ACT Alliance’s Global Humanitarian Coordinator.”Their priority needs are water, shelter and hygiene.”
Everything is still in chaos in Kathmandu, and access to information about the situation in more remote areas is limited, due to the destruction of communications channels.
CWS works with partners to eradicate hunger and poverty and work for peace and justice in the world.
This is another example of where you money goes when you join the CROP Hunger Walk.
You can help: by click on this link.
As we celebrate Earth Day today and as we come closer to our walk on May 3, 2015, I am reminded of some of the questions asked about the money raised during the walk.
We support 8 local agencies with 25% of the amount raised and the remaining 75% is used by CWS to help around the world. I want to point out that the United States is part of that world. As Tom Holmes pointed out in his blog post about hunger in the world, I want to add that CWS does important work here in the United States. Their efforts to help in emergency situations, i.e., Katrina and Sandy, are just two examples of using the funds raised during the walk for this important work.
In Superstorm Sandy’s immediate aftermath, CWS mobilized shipments of CWS Kits and Blankets with a total value of more than $1.3 million for survivors in the United States and the Caribbean. CWS emergency response specialists worked with long-term recovery and other community groups, reaching more than 1,200 participants with disaster recovery workshops in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and West Virginia.
Ten Thousand Villages Oak Park is having a shopping benefit night for the CROP Hunger Walk. On April 23, 2015 from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. they will donate 15% of all sales to our walk. This is a Win Win for those who shop and support fair trade goods and for those that champion the cause of Ending Hunger One Step At a Time.
We always appreciate the business support in our communities and this is but one example of how local businesses make a difference too. So many business have put our CROP Hunger Walk sign in their window to draw attention to the walk and our efforts.
Please support them; which supports us; which supports those in need.
Sign up and walk with us.
One of the results of the CROP Hunger Walk is the ability to provide 25% of what we raised to local agencies. This is just one of the 8 local agencies we were able to give a check to help their efforts in the community.
Here we present a check this past year to Gabe Lara, Director of St. Eulalia Quinn Center Food Pantry with staff and recipients of their good work in providing food to them.
Ending Hunger One Step At A Time is our tag line but it also what provides these funds.
Please join us May 3, 2015 to make a difference of the lives of our neighbors and people around the world.
We posted this a few years ago but it is still relevant in our efforts to help those in need of food.
We ask you to share this with your friends and family, especially young people as a way of having their voices heard in this 32nd annual CROP Hunger Walk.
Joining the walk is just as easy to click on this link which you can then join as an individual; join a team or just make a donation so as to make a difference.
We are all walking Ending Hunger One Step at a Time.
See you there.